TS–021 Tare requirements on weighing instruments used for direct sales to the public
This policy on semi-automatic tare requirements applies to non-automatic weighing instruments with a maximum capacity not greater than 100 kg designed to be used for direct sales to the public.
- OIML R76 - Non-automatic weighing instruments: Part 1 Metrological and technical requirements - Tests [PDF, 1.44 MB](external link)
OIML R 76-1 requires that a tare device fitted to a weighing instrument designed to be used for direct sales to the public must meet the requirements detailed in Clause 4.13 of OIML R 76-1.
The requirements specific to semi-automatic tare device are:
- the action of the tare devices does not permit a reduction of the value of the tare; and
- their effect can only be cancelled when there is no load on the load receptor.
In addition, the instrument shall comply with at least one of the following requirements:
- the tare value is indicated permanently in a separate display,
- the tare value is indicated with a “–”sign when there is no load on the load receptor, or
- the effect of the tare device is cancelled automatically and the indication returns to zero when unloading the load receptor after a stable net weighing result greater than zero has been indicated.
The instruments must meet the above criteria for verification or inspection purposes.
Trade Measurement — Technical Policy
|Policy number:||TS - 021|
|Effective date:||April 2017|
|Policy name:||Tare requirements on weighing instruments used for direct sales to the public|
|Reviewed by:||Davis White, Legal Metrology Advisor and Senior Trading Standards Officer|
|Approved by:||Phil Sorrell, Team Leader Compliance and Inspection|