TS–019 Multiple baseworks connected to a single indicator on weighing instruments
This policy details the criteria to follow when connecting a single digital indicator to multiple baseworks.
- Weights and Measures Act 1987(external link)
- Weights and Measures Regulations 1999(external link)
- Certificate of Approval Register
Multiple baseworks may be connected to a single digital indicator subject to the following conditions:
- The Certificate of Approval issued for the indicator in use must endorse the capability for the indicator to be connected to multiple baseworks.
- The baseworks and the indicator must meet the compatibility requirements*.
- The user must be able to clearly and simultaneously see the indication and the weighing process.
- The weighing result must be linked to the identity of the individual base work. Each base work must be individually identified (through clear visible signage) to assist the operator and customer to identify the indication to a particular base.
- Each approved weighing instrument must be verified or inspected individually. An Accredited Person (AP) must confirm the summing function on the indicator during a verification or inspection test. This test requires a load of 250 e (where ‘e’ equals the verification scale interval of that scale) to be placed on each load receptor and the resultant mathematical summed indication must be correct. This should be recorded on the test sheet.
- The approved primary indicator must have the required metrological markings for all the weighing instrument configurations it is connected to.
- All baseworks are to be verified at the same time. For example, if one basework is required to be calibrated and subsequently verified, then all other connected baseworks are required to be verified, even where there have been no changes to the metrological characteristics of the other baseworks.
Where multiple baseworks are connected to a single indicator for the purposes of weighing a rolling load a rolling load test must be applied, see Technical Policy TS-007 .
Where a secondary indicator is connected see Technical Policy TS-014.
*The following excel document can be used to assess compatibility:
Trade Measurement — Technical Policy
|Policy number:||TS - 019|
|Effective date:||July 2016|
|Policy name:||Multiple baseworks connected to a single indicator on weighing instruments|
|Reviewed by:||Davis White, Legal Metrology Advisor and Senior Trading Standards Officer|
|Approved by:||Phil Sorrell, Team Leader Compliance and Inspection|